Friday, March 01, 2024

Encouraging Them to Soar!


A friend some time ago told me how delighted he was to be able to sit in a replica of the very first aircraft that ever flew! My mind immediately went to the Wright brothers and their plane.   

My friend told my that contrary to common knowledge, the very first airplane was built by Richard Pearse, a New Zealander. He flew it first in March 1903. That was nine months before the Wright brothers flew at Kittyhawk. Pearse had tried to fly in1902, but the engine he invented, wasn’t powerful enough to achieve any more than some brief hops.

Today’s engineers suggest that his second homemade engine produced about 15 horsepower. With it, his first flight on 31 March went an estimated distance of 350 yards. His second attempt went about 150 yards. 

Later on 2 May 1903 he got airborne but didn’t clear a hedge at the end of the field and landed 15 ft (4.6 m) off the ground!Nine days later on 11 May, Pearse took off again. When airborne he was able to turn left and climb over a nine metre river-bank, then turn right to fly parallel to the river. After flying nearly 900 metres, his little engine overheated and lost power, forcing him to land.

One marvels at the genius thought processes behind the making of it. Pearse had no engineering assistance, nor any prototype to follow. He just tinkered away in his shed making practical contraptions from ‘wild ideas’ in his head. The concept of his motor really boggled the mind.

Pearse was a technical genius, but a social misfit. He was happiest inventing things in his tool shed. He struggled with people skills, detested the public eye and avoided the media. Because of that he missed out on the realization that what he had invented could make such an impact on the world. His attitude was: “been there, done that”. He pushed his project into a corner and poked away at other inventions.

There are a lot of people like Richard Pearse. Every person born in this world is unique. One wonders what could have happened if someone had teamed up with Richard to expand his dream? The Wright brothers could have slipped into obscurity too, except that someone encouraged them to keep creating.

Did you know that their father was Bishop Wright? He regularly preached to his congregations about the foolishness of flying. He believed that “If God wanted man to fly, He would have given him wings.” He didn’t know that while he preached, his sons were off in dreamland accomplishing what he disparaged. 

Even the knowledgeable critics scoffed at their efforts, commenting that: “Even if they get something off the ground, they’ll never get it back down again.” Fortunately, besides the critics, they also had a handful of encouragers to urge them to cling to their dream.

I'm sure that like me, your flourish with encouragement. I think that some of the most amazing people have come across are those individuals who are great encouragers.

As I think about people who are often critical or always negative, I realize that behind their words or notes are writers who themselves have been ‘un-encouraged.’ Discouraged people too often become discouragers themselves. When we receive their criticism, somehow we need to address the writers, not just their notes.

Someone, researching the principle of endurance, asked an elderly couple what had kept them going for so many long years serving in a very difficult situation. “Well,” they quietly responded, “it was probably that neither of us ever wanted to quit at the same time as the other.”

We need to be encouragers; to master the discipline of an encouraging posture towards others - whether we feel like it or not!

In spite of all his difficulties Paul could write to his friends: “I have great confidence in you. I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged in all our troubles. My Joy knows no bounds!” (2 Cor 7:4) 

 Over the years psychologists have studied words and found that they have a profound effect on the human brain. The truth is, words have power. Words can either breath life or death into the soul, build up someone’s spirit or tear it down.

They either encourage or discourage – there is no middle ground.Research has proven that brain function is at its best and quality of life is at its peak when we are processing positive rather than negative words.It is very difficult for someone to achieve a goal without encouragement and support. 

Some of the greatest influencers have been those who have received support and strength from others.Many have recalled the friendship between two of history’s great authors, C.S Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien. In fact, Tolkien was highly influenced by Lewis encouraging him to write The Lord of the Rings. The encouraging words of C.S. Lewis spurred Tolkien on toward what has become a literary masterpiece read by millions.

Encouragement is a gift that we all have the ability and resource to give. Encouragement is a gift that we all have the ability and resource to give. There is no I.Q. requirement or special talent needed to be an encourager. All you have to do is have a desire to use your life and your words to encourage the people positioned around you.

Every day we come in contact with people who are craving encouragement. Those who are walking through their personal “dorm room” valleys. Although we may not always know what they are facing, our encouragement may be exactly what they need to make it through to the other side.

The Bible commands us: "... Encourage one another daily and build each other up...” (1Thess 5:11)          .... Continued ...

Kindred Spirit 

I want someone to love me just as I am,
someone who calls me when I need calling,
hugs me when I need hugging,
cries with me when I am crying,
laughs with me when I am laughing,
someone who dances with me
and matches my walk stride for stride.

I want a companion 
who sits companionably,
watching the world go by with me,
happy to be quiet or silly or thoughtful
as the moods chase us together.

Whether they live near or far,
I know they are with me in heart,
my bosom buddy, my kindred spirit. 
God of great gifts,
grant that I may not so much seek 
to have kindred spirits
as to be a kindred spirit.

Give me ears to hear the needs 
of those around me,
arms to hold them 
when they need holding,
eyes to see their pain or their joy,
and a heart to feel it.

God grant that I may not so much seek
to be comforted as to comfort,
to be loved as to love,
to be enjoyed as to enjoy,
to be thought of, as to think of others.

And most of all help me know
that You are the Kindred Spirit
whose love we can count on,
time in and time out, 
time after time.

SOURCE: By Carol Penner