Saturday, March 21, 2020

“Worry” by Adrian Plass


Worry can devour us because it's all about  tomorrow and tomorrow is outside our control. It's about the 'What if?' that may never come. Worry saps our hope and weakens our resolve. The Bible says: "... Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you...". 1 Peter 5:7

Adrain Plass captures it vividly:

 No burglars came again last night
Just as they failed to come the night before,
and for all the nights I can remember
No burglars yet again although I listened,
as I always do, for them

Once more they did not oil and ease
the rusty bolt that holds the garden gate
Behind the shed beside the house
Nor did I hear them moving in the yard
at some hear-sobbing wretched hour.

It was the ticking of a clock upon my wall.
That sounded like the pad 

of evil steps a hundred feet away.

They did not creep inside, 
their blind-from-birth brutality
reduced to stealth and whispers
They did not stand above me.

Were not there with threats and ugly promises,
intoxicated by the scent of fear incontinent
Nor did they then, with weapons
that I meekly placed into their hands, 
proceed to sever from my chilled insides 
the screaming child
who has evaded birth for so long now.

They did not not come
They were not there again last night.
And what if they should never come?

Such a waste of nights
I might have slept
But if I had, I feel quite sure
They would have come
Those burglars – oh, yes, they would have come.